National Trust of Guyana

Monument Type: Regional Monuments

Agricola Independence Arch

The Agricola Independence Arch is located in Agricola, on the East Bank Demerara highway. It was unveiled by His Excellency, President David Granger on May 20, 2016, to commemorate Guyana’s 50th (Jubilee) Independence celebrations. This location for the arch was chosen since Agricola denotes the end of the East Bank Demerara district and beginning of …

Agricola Independence Arch Read More »

Providence Hindu Mandir

The Providence Hindu Mandir is located in Providence along the East Bank Demerara highway. The temple which was built in 1932 incorporates the use of traditional Indian architectural elements with European-Christian methods of constructing religious structures in the then British colony.  The single-storey, octagonal shaped, timber structure has a relatively small Sikhara (tower) when compared …

Providence Hindu Mandir Read More »

Cheddi Jagan International Airport

The Cheddi Jagan International Airport is located in Timehri on the East Bank of Demerara. The airport was formerly called the Timehri International Airport and was established in 1941 as a US military base during World War II (1935-1949). The base was named Atkinson Field after Major Eric Atkinson, the first commander of the facility. …

Cheddi Jagan International Airport Read More »

Kuru Kururu Independence Monument

Located in Kuru Kururu, on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway, is the Independence Monument. It was unveiled in 1976 on the occasion of Guyana’s 10th Independence anniversary. The monument was dedicated in the presence of then Prime Minister, Mr. Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham, and duty Prime Minister, Ptolemy Alexander Reid, along with other government officials.

Borslem Island

Borslem Island is located some 27 kilometres (17 miles) from the mouth of the Demerara River within the vicinity of the community Coverden on the East Bank of Demerara. This island was the first capital of the colony Demerara. It was established in 1753 as the seat of the government because of its proximity to …

Borslem Island Read More »

Boerasire Railway Bridge

The remnant of the Boerasire Railway Bridge is located on the East Bank of Essequibo within the vicinity of the Zeelugt community. It was one of many railway bridges built during the period when Guyana’s second railway line from Vreed-en-Hoop to Parika was being developed.

Chinese Immigration Monument

The Chinese Immigration Monument was unveiled in 1986 by the Guyana-China Friendship Society to commemorate the coming of the first Chinese immigrants to Guyana.  The monument is located in the Windsor Forest Primary School compound along the Windsor Forest Highway, West Coast Demerara.

Demerara Harbour Bridge

The Demerara Harbour Bridge connects West Demerara from Versailles and East Demerara from Peter’s Hall. It was built across the Demerara River at one of the river’s widest points. The bridge is the third built structure to span the Demerara River but is the first and only floating bridge to do so. Completed a week …

Demerara Harbour Bridge Read More »

Klien Pouderoyen Koker

Plantation Pouderoyen or Klien Pouderoijen (Dutch name) was established by Jan Christian Swaen and his family circa 1750.The planation originally harvested coffee but as time progressed, produced sugar and corn along with other crops. The remnants of a koker, is the only remaining structure from the plantation. Most likely built of slave labour, the structure …

Klien Pouderoyen Koker Read More »

James McFarlane Corry Monument

James McFarlane Corry was a revolutionary 19th century British Guiana leader. His name is associated with the development of the Local Government system in Guyana; and many historians regard him as the ‘Father of Local Government’. He also played a vital role in the establishment of co-operative banks in the country. He is fondly remembered …

James McFarlane Corry Monument Read More »