Location: Mackenzie, Linden
Classification: Medical/Social Services
Period/ Year Built: 1925
Historical Background / Description: The Linden Hospital Complex which is located on Casuarina Drive, Watooka, Mackenzie, was established and built by the Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA). The first of two structures on the site was completed in May 1925, to provide improved medical services to the employees of DEMBA. This single-storey building was built of timber and its front façade faced the Demerara River.
The 88 metres (290 feet) long two-ward hospital was initially designed to accommodate 60 beds and 56 patients; after minor additional provisions were made, the hospital was opened with 75 beds. This building is currently used as the administrative block of the hospital.
The new hospital building is located parallel to the old hospital building; this three-storey masonry building was constructed in the late 20th- early 21st century. Architectural features for this building include its mono-pitched roofs and its fenestration of small windows.