National Trust of Guyana

Monument Type: Linden

St. Aidan’s Anglican Church

St Aidan’s Anglican Church is one of the earliest churches in Linden; it was established in 1897 at Malai, a settlement located up the Demerara River. It was then moved to a new building, across the river to Burnham Drive, Wismar, in 1913. The first church building was originally a dance hall. The church was …

St. Aidan’s Anglican Church Read More »

St. Matthew’s Church

St. Matthew’s Church, opened on November 25, 1898, was constructed by the Presbyterians.  The church is located on Burnham Drive, Christianburg. The church plays a very important role in the cultural and social development of the community. This single-storey, low-suspended colonial building faces the Demerara River. Some architectural features for the building are its high-pitched …

St. Matthew’s Church Read More »

Watooka House

Watooka House is a three-storey early 20th century colonial building that started out as a privately owned establishment.  During the early 1900s, it was renovated by the Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA) to accommodate its managers. In the 1940s, it was renamed Watooka House, the name Watooka originating from the nearby Watooka creek.  The front façade …

Watooka House Read More »

Christianburg Waterwheel

The Christianburg Waterwheel located on Burnham Drive, Christianburg, Linden, was installed as part of a hydro-powered sawmill on the plantation sometime during the latter half of the 1800s. This hydro-powered sawmill was needed to improve the production of logs and reducing the cost associated with it. It is regarded as one of the earliest engineering …

Christianburg Waterwheel Read More »