St. Matthew’s Church, opened on November 25, 1898, was constructed by the Presbyterians. The church is located on Burnham Drive, Christianburg. The church plays a very important role in the cultural and social development of the community.
This single-storey, low-suspended colonial building faces the Demerara River. Some architectural features for the building are its high-pitched roofs, bell tower, pointed arched windows with tracery, and rose window.