Location: Port Mourant, Corentyne, Berbice
Classification: Funerary Structure
Period/ Year Built: 1997 & 2009
Historical Background / Description:
The Jagans’ Memorial Monument also referred to as the Cheddi and Janet Jagan Mausoleum Complex is located in the Babu Jan (John) cemetery. The cemetery is located in Port Mourant, Corentyne, approximately 22.5 kilometres (13.97 miles) from New Amsterdam. It was established for both Hindus and Muslims to have a facility available to them to bury or perform the last rites for their dead. It was named after one of its Muslim caretakers. The Mausoleum complex serves as the final resting place for both Dr. Jagan and his wife, Mrs. Janet Jagan. Both shrines measure 3.05 metres (10 feet) by 2.44 metres (8 feet) with a height of 0.91 metres (3 feet) each.
Dr. Cheddi Jagan was born on March 22, 1818, on Plantation Port Mourant. He was one of the founding members of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP). Dr. Jagan was once Premier of British Guiana and the 4th President and the 3rd Executive President of the nation. His parents were first generation East Indians indentured labourers living in British Guiana. His grandparents migrated from Indian to British Guiana to work as indentured servants. President Cheddi Jagan died on March 6, 1997.
Mrs. Janet Jagan was the American-born wife of Dr. Cheddi Jagan, who moved to British Guiana with him in 1943 and during the course of their marriage they produced two children. She was born on October 20, 1920, as Janet Rosenberg to middle-class Jewish parents in South Chicago, Illinois. Mrs. Jagan was appointed the 6th President and 5th Executive President in 1997 after her husband died. Mrs. Jagan died on March 28, 2009. Both Presidents worked tirelessly for grass root citizens in Guyana and are remembered dearly by many.