Location: Skeldon, Corentyne, Berbice
Period/ Year Built: Circa 1910
Historical Background / Description:
The Skeldon Sugar Estate is located approximately 74 kilometres (45.95 miles) east of the town of New Amsterdam, Berbice. The two-storey suspended timber and shingle structure plantation Great House was built circa 1910. The external walls of the second floor are covered with shingles, while the first floor is mainly of timber. Some of the other minor materials such as the bricks used to construct the piers were imported from England. The building was used as the official residence of the Estate Manager and to date it continues to serve this propose. The structure has retained most of its original features such as its covered verandahs and wide overhangs among others.