Location: Timehri, East Bank Demerara
Period/ Year Built: Established 1941
Historical Background / Description:
The Cheddi Jagan International Airport is located in Timehri on the East Bank of Demerara; the airport was formerly called the Timehri International Airport. It was established in 1941 as a US military base during World War II (1939-1945). The base was named Atkinson Field after Major Eric Atkinson, the first commander of the facility. It was setup through an agreement with the United Kingdom and the United States of America to serve American aircrafts that crossed the Atlantic Ocean towards Europe on the South Atlantic transport route.
In 1945, the airport started its commercial service and on May 1st, 1969, it was renamed Timehri International Airport. Major renovations and additions were done and completed to the airport in December 1968; the runway was also enlarged and lengthened during the same period. In March 1997, after the death of President Dr. Cheddi Jagan, Prime Minister Samuel Hinds renamed the airport in his honour. Over the years since its establishment, the airport has undergone a number of extensions. As of 2017, the airport was in the process of renovating and extending its current facilities. Cheddi Jagan International Airport is home to a number of murals done by renowned Guyanese artist Mr. Aubrey Williams (deceased).