Location: Lodge, Georgetown
Period/ Year Built: Established 1845, built 1959
Historical Background / Description:
St. Sidwell’s Anglican Church is located in Lodge, Georgetown. It was established in 1845 by Reverend R. L. Webber. In the early years of the church, services were held in a domestic building until 1860 when the first church was constructed. This building was destroyed by fire on July 21, 1957, and by the following year, plans were in place to have a new church built. On November 12, 1958, the foundation stone was laid by the Dean of Georgetown, Father R. R. Sargison who was the first Vicar of the parish.
In the compound of the church is the Caesar Jones Monument. This commemorative monument was built in memory of Caesar Jones, an enslaved African who was presented to Mr. R. M. Jones during a visit to Demerara. Although Mr. R. M. Jones granted Caesar his freedom, he chose to serve him, following him on his return to Demerara. Jones was admired for his upright conduct, trustworthiness and faithfulness.