Location: Fort Wellington, West Coast Berbice
Period/ Year Built: Established 1837, rehabilitated circa 1990
Historical Background / Description:
St. Michael’s Anglican Church is located in the community of Fort Wellington, West Coast Berbice. The church was established in 1837 and was located in Fort Wellington when it served as a British outpost. The first church building was built and completed on September 1, 1839. Church services were not officially held in the structure until December 26, 1838, on the Feast of St. Stephen.
In 1857, the church moved to its present site and its new building was dedicated on August 3 of the same year. The building was later renovated in 1923 and re-dedicated on March 16, 1924. Circa 1990 the church was rehabilitated and its timber façade was replaced with concrete blocks. The church currently is a single-storey structure.