Location: Kitty, Georgetown
Period/ Year Built: Established 1838, dedicated 1857
Historical Background / Description:
St. James-the Less Anglican Church is on located on David Street, Kitty, Georgetown. The church was established in 1838 as a chapel school near the Kitty foreshore. The chapel was attached to St. George’s Cathedral, but attained the status of parish on February 20, 1940.The church was dedicated on May 14, 1857, by Bishop William Piercy Austin, the first Anglican Bishop to British Guiana.
Circa 1856, Mr. E.A. Manget donated a piece of land at 236 David Street, Kitty for the construction of the church building. This single-storey building was designed by Reverend George Fox who described it as “an ideal model of what a church in the tropics should be”. In 1904, the churchyard was extended through the generosity of the Bel Air Estate which donated the additional property. The land was consecrated the same year as a cemetery for members of the church.