Location: New Amsterdam, Berbice
Period/ Year Built: Circa 1868
Historical Background / Description: The New Amsterdam Town Council was established by a special ordinance in 1844. The Town Hall is located at Lot 14 Strand Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice. The two-storey timber edifice was constructed circa 1868. Features of the structure include a large council room, a concert hall and gallery located along the eastern wing of the building. The New Amsterdam Market is located on the ground floor of the structure.
One of the most prominent features of the building was its tower which was demolished in 2012 due to its dilapidated state. The tower was 22.86 metres (75 feet) in height boasted 12 large panelled casement windows with narrow timber hoods, each of which was supported by two decoratively carved timber brackets. The tower was located above the main entrance of the structure and was capped by a smaller tower which had a widow’s walk.