National Trust of Guyana

Monument Type: New Amsterdam

Berbice High School

The Berbice High School is located at the junction of North and Princess Elizabeth Roads, New Amsterdam, Berbice. It was established for boys on September 5, 1916, on the lower flat at the residence of Reverend J.A. Scrimgeour. Due to the growing number of students a separate building was needed which was built in 1920 …

Berbice High School Read More »

Fort Canje Mandir

The Fort Canje Mandir is located at the beginning of New Amsterdam within the vicinity of the Canje Bridge and the Canje River.Built from timber, the Fort Canje Mandir exhibits much fenestration, fretwork, coloured glass panes, front porch and central tower with spire. The style of the temple has been described as “colonial creole timber …

Fort Canje Mandir Read More »

Canje Bridge

The Canje Bridge at Fort Canje, Berbice was erected as a replacement for the Canje Swing Bridge. It was opened on February 23, 1978, by the then Minister of Works and Transport, Steve Naraine. Designed by American firm Raymond and Harris Corporation of New York, the bridge has a width of 10 metres (33 feet), …

Canje Bridge Read More »

Church of the Ascension

The Church of Ascension is located at Lot 20 Main and Pope Streets, New Amsterdam. Prior to 1836, the town (New Amsterdam) had no Catholic churches and a committee was appointed to raise funds for a church for the Catholics who were primarily of Dutch and Portuguese origins. A six metres (20 feet) by 15.2 …

Church of the Ascension Read More »

State House (Governor House)

This 19th  century edifice is located with its main façade on Main Street and bordering New Market and Carmichael Streets, Cummingsburg, Georgetown, and is the official residence of the Executive Presidents of Guyana. The Structure was formerly known as Governor House and is sometimes referred to as Guyana House. In British Guiana, housing for crowned …

State House (Governor House) Read More »

Ebenezer Lutheran Church

The Ebenezer Lutheran Church is the oldest established religious Institution in Guyana and one of the oldest church bodies in South America. Some historians believed that Lutherans from the nearby Dutch Colony Surinam who had established their Lutheran Church in 1668 migrated to the Berbice area to spread their faith within the colony. Initially, Lutherans …

Ebenezer Lutheran Church Read More »

All Saints Anglican Church

During the early 19th century the Anglicans (known as the Church of England) had no formal church building of their own. All Saints’ Anglican Church located at the corner of Main and Trinity Streets, New Amsterdam, Berbice was constructed by the end of 1837. Some of the building’s noteworthy features are the fixed timber louvers …

All Saints Anglican Church Read More »

New Amsterdam Town Hall

The New Amsterdam Town Hall is  located on Strand Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice. It  was constructed circa 1868, and houses the offices of the Town Council. The building is described as having Tudor influences, a typical example of Guyana’s timber architecture. Originally, the Town Hall had a tower 22.8 meters (75 feet) high with a …

New Amsterdam Town Hall Read More »

Ituni Temple

The Ituni Masonic Temple on Ferry Street, New Amsterdam, is home to one of Guyana’s oldest fraternity, the Freemasons. This wooden structure built during the 19th century was chartered on December 29, 1896, and later consecrated on September 20, 1897. The Ituni Temple is noteworthy for its high tower with timber louvers and fine display …

Ituni Temple Read More »

Mission Chapel Congregational Church

Mission Chapel Congregational Church was founded in 1815 by Reverend John Wray. The first Mission Chapel was destroyed by fire. A second church was rebuilt, but soon became inadequate for the fast growing congregation. The foundation stone for the third Mission Chapel located on Chapel Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice was laid in 1841. It was …

Mission Chapel Congregational Church Read More »