Location: Kingston, Georgetown
Classification: Civil Infrastructure
Period/ year built: 1830
Historical Background / Description:
The Lighthouse, located on Water Street, Kingston, Georgetown is the second of two Lighthouses to be built at its current location. Prior to the Lighthouse, a beacon was used along the East Coast to guide ships to shore. The foundation stone of the current Lighthouse was laid in 1830, and was considered a shore station built to withstand high winds rather than waves due to its inland location.
The present brick structure is octagonal in shape and 31 metres (103 feet) in height. The new structure was constructed to facilitate the increase in traffic, the colony was experiencing.
The light, for which the building derives its name from, is located in the gallery, initially a floating light; the light is now created by a large bulb. It is visible for 48-64 kilometres (30-40 miles) out at sea. It operates like a pendulum clock flashing every 60 seconds, which needs to be wound every 4 hours. There was once a 24-inch long-range telescope, which was used to look for distress signals from ships out at sea. Some features of the structure include its iron gallery; its approximately 138 flight of stairs and its white and red stripes. Located below the gallery is the watch room used by the administrative staff.