Location: Kingston, Georgetown
Period/ Year Built: 19th century
Historical Background / Description:
Austin’s House is a 19th century colonial timber structure that was built during the period when Kingston was called “an English village.” It is located at the corner of High and Barracks Streets, Kingston, Georgetown. Formerly known as Kingston House, the building was renamed in 1892, in recognition of Anglican Bishop, William Piercy Austin, British Guiana’s first Anglican Bishop. Bishop Austin, along with his family, once resided in the building.
The structure was initially constructed of Canadian pine and bricks that were used to form its columns. The building within the last century was rehabilitated a number of times serving both as the office of the Anglican Diocese of Guyana and the Residence of the Anglican Bishop.
Features of this three-storey colonial style structure include two stained glass windows that were installed in the 1950s, its Demerara windows, high pitched roof, Georgian styled windows along with other fine features.