National Trust of Guyana

Church of the Ascension

Table of Contents

Reading Progress

The Church of Ascension is located at Lot 20 Main and Pope Streets, New Amsterdam. Prior to 1836, the town (New Amsterdam) had no Catholic churches and a committee was appointed to raise funds for a church for the Catholics who were primarily of Dutch and Portuguese origins. A six metres (20 feet) by 15.2 metres (50 feet) church was built circa 1844 and called the Church of Ascension. It  was extended in 1902 and consecrated by Rev. Compton Theodore Galton.

Two towers were erected by Father Gillet and arches were installed running from the door of the building to the sanctuary on both sides. In 1968, the church was rehabilitated; the towers were demolished and the front façade of the building was redesigned.  In 1991, the building was again renovated and its main altar was demolished. The altar which was located on north eastern section of the church was also replaced.