Classification: Historic Site
Period/ Year Built: Established 1753
Historical Background / Description:
Borslem Island is located some 27 kilometres (17 miles) from the mouth of the Demerara River within the vicinity of the community Coverden on the East Bank of Demerara. This island was the first capital of the colony Demerara. It was established in 1753 as the seat of the government because of its proximity to Commandeur Laurens Storm van’s Gravesande’s plantation, Soesdyke. The island remained the seat of Government until 1759, when it became overcrowded due to its small size.