National Trust of Guyana

Monument Type: Region 3 (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara)

Boerasire Railway Bridge

The remnant of the Boerasire Railway Bridge is located on the East Bank of Essequibo within the vicinity of the Zeelugt community. It was one of many railway bridges built during the period when Guyana’s second railway line from Vreed-en-Hoop to Parika was being developed.

Chinese Immigration Monument

The Chinese Immigration Monument was unveiled in 1986 by the Guyana-China Friendship Society to commemorate the coming of the first Chinese immigrants to Guyana.  The monument is located in the Windsor Forest Primary School compound along the Windsor Forest Highway, West Coast Demerara.

Demerara Harbour Bridge

The Demerara Harbour Bridge connects West Demerara from Versailles and East Demerara from Peter’s Hall. It was built across the Demerara River at one of the river’s widest points. The bridge is the third built structure to span the Demerara River but is the first and only floating bridge to do so. Completed a week …

Demerara Harbour Bridge Read More »

Klien Pouderoyen Koker

Plantation Pouderoyen or Klien Pouderoijen (Dutch name) was established by Jan Christian Swaen and his family circa 1750.The planation originally harvested coffee but as time progressed, produced sugar and corn along with other crops. The remnants of a koker, is the only remaining structure from the plantation. Most likely built of slave labour, the structure …

Klien Pouderoyen Koker Read More »

James McFarlane Corry Monument

James McFarlane Corry was a revolutionary 19th century British Guiana leader. His name is associated with the development of the Local Government system in Guyana; and many historians regard him as the ‘Father of Local Government’. He also played a vital role in the establishment of co-operative banks in the country. He is fondly remembered …

James McFarlane Corry Monument Read More »

Hog Island Windmill

Hog Island Windmill is located on the eastern side of Hog Island, approximately 14.5 kilometres (9 miles) from the mouth of the Essequibo River. This 18th century structure was the third windmill built by the Dutch during their occupancy of the Essequibo region. In 1768,  the windmill was built on Plantation Luyksberg. It was described …

Hog Island Windmill Read More »

St. Peter’s Anglican Church

St. Peter’s Anglican Church was established circa 1827 by Reverend John Tucker and is located in community of Enterprise on the Island of Leguan. The current structure is the second of two churches to be built on the site. The first church was completed by December 9, 1827; but prior to its erection, church services …

St. Peter’s Anglican Church Read More »

Fort Zeelandia

Approximately 16 kilometers (10 miles) from the mouth of the mighty Essequibo River is Fort Island. On this island are the second and third oldest built historic structures in Guyana (completed by the Dutch administration in 1744 to protect it interest in the then colony). Fort Zeelandia and the Court of Policy. During the period …

Fort Zeelandia Read More »