Location: Queenstown, Essequibo Coast
Period/ Year Built: Established 1842
Historical Background / Description:
St. Bartholomew Anglican Church is located in the community of Queenstown, Essequibo Coast, some 28 kilometres (17.4 miles) from Supenaam. This village was the first in Essequibo to be bought by former slaves in 1841. The Church was established in 1842 and the building was completed in November 1843. St. Bartholomew was not consecrated until October 24, 1859. The interior of the church is considered similar in design to that of a slave ship. This feature many historians believed was intentionally done by the ex-slaves who built the church. The church has been rehabilitated throughout the years but the principal structure remains the same.