Location: Plaisance, East Coast Demerara
Classification: Commemorative Monument
Period/ Year Built: 1966
Historical Background / Description:
Plaisance is a community located 10 kilometres (6.21 miles) away from the capital city of Georgetown. The village was bought by former slaves in 1842, from the Waterbodt family through Mr. A J Waterbodt. The plantation which was commonly referred to as Plantation Cotton consisted of 2.04 square kilometres (505 acres) of land, purchased at the cost of $39,000.00 by both freed men and women. The former slaves made an initial down payment of $15,000.00 and within 18 months paid the reminding balance. It was officially declared a village in 1892.
In 1966, in recognition of Guyana’s Independence status, the village council unveiled a monument listing the original proprietors of the village. The pillar type structure also makes mention of the first all-elected village council of 1960 and the Royal Visit of Queen Elizabeth II and H.R.H Prince Phillip on February 5, 1966. The monument can be found in the Zoar Congregational Church compound on Prince William Street. This church can trace its history back to the 1840s, when the settlement was first established by the slaves.