Location: South Cummingsburg, Georgetown
Period/ Year Built: 20th century
Historical Background / Description:
The Guyana Office for Investment, popularly known as GO-Invest, is housed in an early 20th century colonial building. The three-storey timber structure, located at the corner of Camp and Church Streets, Cummingsburg, Georgetown (western side) was designed by Mr. H.O. Durham. The building was built circa 1925 and most likely used as a private residence. The structure changed ownership a few times to some famous and notable characters such as Mr. John A Browne (in 1937) a famous cricketer also known as Snuffy and Mr. Federick Kerry in 1945. Mr. Neville Hubert King then owned the property from 1974; King later sold the structure to the Government of Guyana in 1979.
The building was occupied by the government and later transferred to the state agency GO-Invest, after it was established in 1994. Architectural features of the structure include its tower, widow’s walk and Demerara windows.