City Hall, an eloquent example of Guyana’s built architectural heritage is located with its main façade facing Avenue of the Republic and is bordered by Regent Street to the north and Charlotte Street to the south.The foundation stone was laid in the north eastern corner of the structure. The building was completed 18 months later and declared opened before a large audience by Governor Viscount Gormanston, K.C.M.G. on July 1, 1889, during a heavy downpour of rain. The Town Hall represented an excellent example of Neo-Gothic colonial architecture in British Guiana. The 29 metres (96 feet) tower with its conical pinnacles was and still is considered one of the building’s main attractions.
Table of Contents