Location: Mackenzie, Linden
Period/ Year Built: 1961
Historical Background / Description:
The Alumina Plant at the time of its construction was considered the largest and most expensive superstructure to be undertaken in British Guiana. It was built by the Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA) and is located at Spieghtland, (on Republic Avenue) Mackenzie, Linden.
The plant was opened by Dr. Cheddi Jagan, Minister of Trade and Industry, on March 28, 1961. The location was considered a virtual swamp and before work could commence, the site needed to be prepared for actual works. Over 1000 men were sourced as labourers for six weeks, clearing the site so that bulldozers could gain access to remove and transport huge trees away from the area. After the land was cleared, drained and compacted, bauxitic rock were brought to construct several miles of access road. The plant was completed in four years.
A plaque to commemorate the construction of the Alumina Plant was installed within the vicinity of the plant on Republic Avenue. It was unveiled by H.E. Sir Ralph Grey, K.C.M.G, K.C.V.O, O.B.E, Governor of British Guiana. The plaque is mounted on a pyramidal body with a hyperbolic curved bottom; there is a flag pole at the back of the pyramid. Today the facility is no longer in use.